Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation Conference
Evolutions in Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation: From diagnosis
to Top-level sports
What a year it has been…
Ever since 2009, VEPRA has joined all people throughout Europe interested in animal rehabilitation and physical therapy and offered the opportunity to improve their skills. With every following year, more and more people followed. Earlier this year, all of these efforts and enthusiasm resulted in the ultimate reward one can achieve: the start of a very own EBVS® recognized European college of Veterinary Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation!
So let me start by saying “Thank you”, especially to the VEPRA Board for their efforts, but also to all VEPRA members who kept supporting this idea.
In 2019, September 19th – 21st, the VEPRA conference will take place in Ghent and we’ll make it a special edition… To celebrate the creation of the ECVSMR College, this year’s VEPRA conference will join hands with the college and will be the very first VEPRA/ECVSMR conference, offering lectures and workshops given by renowned international speakers on Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation in both Small Animal AND Equine medicine.
I therefor gladly invite you to come over and celebrate this special event together with us in Ghent and enjoy the practical hands-on part during the pre-congress, the scientific novelties during our 2-day meeting and of course taste some of that good Belgian way of life…
Both speakers and sponsors are ready to make this the best Veterinary Sport Medicine, Rehab and Physiotherapeutic meeting of the year.
If you are only half as excited as I am, we’re going to have a fantastic meeting!
Warm regards and see you all in Ghent!
Dr. Yves Samoy, DVM, PhD, Dipl. ECVSMR
President of the Organizing Committee
LOCATION AND DATE
Where: GHENT, Belgium
When: 19 – 21 September 2019
What: 1 day pre-congress with several workshops covering Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation.
2 days conference on rehabilitation and sports medicine in Small and Large Animals with international guest speakers
REGISTRATION (will stop on 16 Sept 2019!)
Pricing: (ex TAV):
|early bird||after June 20th
||After Aug 31st|
|Student/Intern/SMR resident (proof required!)||€150||€250||€330|
Preliminary program (Titles and scheme might still change):
STATE OF THE ART LECTURE
Prof Dr. Adelheid Steyaert (Head of clinics Sportsmedicine, University Hospital, Ghent University)
Located at the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine in Merelbeke (about 20km from the city center).
Shuttlebusses will be available, so please don't forget to mention that during registration!
Morning (9h-12h) or Afternoon (13h-16h) sessions :
- Use of the pressure plate in Small Animals, morning session
Barbara Bockstahler (AT)
- Hands on Physiotherapy for technicians
Tine Desmet (BE); Yves Samoy (BE)
(COMPLETE! - no more registrations possible)
- Diagnostic ultrasound for Achilles tendon and meniscal lesions, morning session
Elke Van der Vekens (BE); Giuseppe Spinella (IT)
- Upgrading your lameness examination with inertial sensors: practical use of the Equinosis Q with Lameness Locator software, morning session
Maarten Oosterlinck (BE)
- Kinesio-Taping in horses,afternoon session
Cajsa Ericson (SE)
Small Animal and Equine:
- LASER or shockwave therapy... An in-depth discussion, afternoon session
David Bradley (Summus Medical Laser) (USA); Adrian Lock (PulseVet) (USA) (Equine and Small Animals)
GENERAL PROGRAM (20-21/09/2019)
SMALL ANIMAL PROGRAM
Sports Medicine Diagnostics:
- Giuseppe Spinella (IT): Ultrasound investigation of common shoulder and stifle pathologies in dogs.
- Pia Gustås (SE): evolutions in kinematics and kinetics
- Noel Fitzpatrick (UK): The Diagnosis of Lumbosacral disease
- Marion Mucha (AT): Treatment of the clinical symptoms caused by osteoarthritis using nuclear magnetic
- Jose Vilar (ES): Effect of leukocyte-reduced platelet-rich plasma on osteoarthritis caused by cranial cruciate ligament rupture: A canine gait analysis model
- Dominique Grandjean (FR): nutrition in working Dogs
- Ellen Martens (BE): The agility athlete : from surgery to super dog
Physiotherapy: My approach in...
- Oliver Harms (DE): Home excersises: a new approach.
- Ellen Martens (BE): Physiotherapy: my approach in …
- Ludovica Dragone (IT): Conservative treatment of shoulder lesions
Balance and Fitness:
- Ilke Alaerts (BE): The use of prehabilitation
- Marion Mucha (AT): Physiotherapy as a possibility to increase quality of life in old dogs
- Susanne Lauer (DE): Balance and fitness
- Annamaria Nagy (UK): The horse-saddle-rider interaction
- Mark Bowen (UK): Diagnosing cardiorespiratory dysfunction in sport horses
- Jean-Marie Denoix (FR): Diagnosing cervical pathology in sport horses
- Jean-Marie Denoix (FR): The what and how of imaging findings without clinical significance
- Annamaria Nagy (UK): Facts and fiction about diffusion after diagnostic analgesia
- Mark Bowen (UK): Feeding equine athletes
- Willem Back (NL): Breed differences affecting function and performance
- Collin Adrian Roberts (UK): How to approach muscle soreness and performance
- Carolien Munsters (NL): Exercise testing and monitoring training progress of Warmblood sport horses
- Collin Adrian Roberts (UK):The dilemma of medicating the equine athlete
- Jose Vilar (ES): Videographic and kinetic techniques in horses under field conditions
- Anna Bergh : Neuromuscular stimulation in the horse
- Aziz Tnibar (MA): Shockwave treatment of sacroiliac problems
- Theresia Licka (AT): Spinal biomechanics and muscle activity during equine locomotion
- Barbara Riccio (IT): Back pain: an international perspective
Injuries and rehabilitation:
- Andrea Bertuglia (IT): Injuries and rehabilitation of Standardbred trotters
- Annamaria Nagy (UK): Injuries and rehabilitation of endurance horses
- Ana Boada (ES): Injuries and rehabilitation of Warmblood sport horses
- Michael Weishaupt (CH): Biomechanic differences between treadmill and over-ground locomotion.
(COMPLETE! - no more registrations possible)
Vétoquinol Exclusive technicians workshop and lecture day
Only to register through a Gold Sponsor ticket!
more info contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
FREE COMMUNICATIONS AND POSTERS
Call for abstracts (Finished)
For more information, please contact
Yves Samoy for Small Animal program or
Maarten Oosterlinck for Equine program at
Sept 19th Castle of Ghent "Gravensteen" at St-Veerleplein
17h30 - 19h30: BOOK PRESENTATION:
Official book presentation and signature session "Essential Facts of Physical Medicine, Rehabilitation and Sports Medicine in Dogs and Cats."
by B. Bockstahler, K. Wittek, D. Millis, J. Maierl and D. Levine brought to you by UT&Schloss-Seminar Veterinary Academy of Higher Learning.
19h30 - 22h30: OFFICIAL OPENING RECEPTION (Complimentary).
Kindly offered to you by CRI, OthoPets, PulseVet, Help'em Up, Respond Systems and Owl Manor/Grovet.
Sept 20th: "De Oude Vismijn" Conference diner and party
19h30 - ...: Belgian food, beer and fun... It would be a shame to miss this!!!